Mass Transit Railway (MTR)
MTR has quite extended coverage in Hong Kong. Navigate your way and find out your estimated travelling time with MTR's trip planner, available on their website and app.
There are three different-coloured taxis and each colour has its own designated operating areas.
- Urban taxis (red) operate in most areas in Hong Kong (except Tung Chung Road and roads in south Lantau).
- New Territories taxis (green) mainly operate in the north-eastern part (i.e. north of Sha Tin) and north-western part (i.e. north of Tsuen Wan) of the New Territories.
- Lantau taxis (blue) operate only on Lantau Island and Chek Lap Kok where the airport is situated.
All taxis provide services at the passenger terminals of Hong Kong International Airport, the Hong Kong Section of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge and Hong Kong Disneyland.
Buses in Hong Kong provide the largest coverage, operated by 5 different companies with more than 700 routes. Double-decker buses are not that common around the world and maybe an interesting experience as a tourist attraction.
Tram, Peak Tram and Cross-Harbour Ferries
Tram, Peak tram and cross harbour ferry are transport options that will not take you far but are definitely 'can't miss' experience when you are visiting Hong Kong.
Find out more about Hong Kong transportation here:
- Public transport in Hong Kong (by the Hong Kong government)
- Hong Kong Transportation (by TravelChinaGuide)