Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Submitted by zsjimenez@glob… on
Career & Money

SSS for Employees and Employers: Membership Process & Requirements

One of the main indicators of impending adulthood is a registration to a social insurance program. By making periodic contributions, millions will theoretically retire comfortably thanks to the pension created. In the Philippines, the Social Security System or SSS provides various benefits to registered workers as a social insurance program.


Learn more about SSS, how to register for it and the various benefits you get to enjoy as a member in this guide.

SSS Membership: Importance and Benefits

The organization was established on September 1, 1957, to provide social security protection to Filipino workers both here and abroad, as well as their beneficiaries, through the program's investible funds and resources. Founded to promote social justice through financial assistance and compensation packages, it highlights the idea of "work, save, invest and prosper."


Active paying members of the SSS, both private-sector workers and individual members—self-employed, voluntary contributors, Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and non-working spouses—are protected against the hazards of disability, sickness, maternity, old age, death and other contingencies resulting in loss of income or financial burden in the form of collective savings.

SSS Benefits You Are Entitled to Obtain

Below are the necessary coverages, benefits, and perks an SSS member can avail of:


  • Sickness Benefit: SSS provides a sick leave benefit if you are unable to work due to illness. You will be compensated for each day you are absent.
  • Maternity Benefit: If you are unable to work due to a recent natural or C-section birth, SSS will provide you with a daily cash allowance.
  • Retirement Benefit: All SSS members are eligible for retirement benefits, which can take the form of a pension or a lump sum payment.
  • Disability Benefit: If you have a disability, you are eligible to receive a monthly or lump sum payment.
  • Employees' Compensation Program (EC): All SSS members are eligible for this. Your employer pays the monthly EC contributions (₱10 or ₱30) on your behalf, providing you work-related sickness, injury, or disability relief.
  • The Personal Equity and Savings Option (P.E.S.O.) Fund: The P.E.S.O. fund is an optional savings or investment plan that allows you to earn a higher pension by paying a higher monthly contribution than the normal amount
  • Funeral Benefit: Get cash compensation if you paid for the funeral expenses of a deceased SSS member.
  • Death Benefit: If you are the beneficiary of a deceased SSS member, you can receive a monthly pension or a lump sum.
  • Salary Loans: SSS provides you with a short-term salary loan if you're in need of quick cash
  • Unemployment Insurance or Involuntary Separation Benefit: It is a cash benefit for covered employees, including kasambahays and OFWs (sea- and land-based), who were involuntarily separated from employment (e.g., retrenchment or downsizing, closure or cessation of operations, installation of labor-saving devices, redundancy, etc.).


Important Note: Only members with "Permanent" membership status will be eligible for loans and benefits (subject to qualifying conditions) and UMID card application (should have posted at least one contribution).

SSS Coverage Types

Under the regular SSS program, there are two types of coverage: compulsory and voluntary.


  1. Compulsory Coverage: The following individuals are required by law to be covered

    • Employer (Business or Household Employer)
    • Employee
    • Self-Employed 
    • Househelper or Kasambahay
    • OFWs (land- and sea-based; except for Filipino permanent migrants, including Filipino immigrants, permanent residents and naturalized citizens of their host countries, who may be covered on a voluntary basis).

  2. Voluntary Coverage: Unemployed Individuals can also avail of the social security program:

    • Non-Working Spouses (NWS)
    • Separated Members

How to Apply for an SSS Membership

Employers, employees, self-employed, OFWs, kasambahays, and voluntary members have different application processes for SSS membership. You can get your SS number in person and online. Once you obtain your SS number, it is yours for life. Continue reading to discover the process for each membership type.

In-person application for employers:

Registering with SSS as an employer depends on your company type—single proprietorship, partnership, or corporation.


  1. Single Proprietorships:
    • Fill out and submit SSS Form R-1 (Employer SSS Registration Firm) and R-1A (SSS Employment Report).

  2. Partnerships:
    • Any partner should complete and submit SSS Forms R-1 (Employer SSS Registration) and R-1A (Employment Report).
    • Include a photocopy of the Articles of Partnership for submission.
    • Present the original Articles of Partnership for authentication at the SSS.

  3. Corporations:
    • The corporation's President or a corporate officer should fill out and submit SSS Forms R-1 (Employer SSS Registration) and R-1A (Employment Report).
    • Include a photocopy of the Articles of Incorporation for submission.
    • Present the original Articles of Incorporation for authentication at the SSS.

In-person application for employees:

Step 1: Gather the required documents.


  • Prepare an original (or certified true copy) and a photocopy of any primary document:

    • Birth or baptismal certificate
    • Passport
    • Driver's License
    • Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card
    • Seaman's Book.
  • If you don't have any of the primary documents listed above, submit TWO of the following secondary documents:

    • Alien Certificate of Registration
    • ATM card with the cardholder's name
    • ATM card and certification from the issuing bank if the account number doesn't bear the cardholder's name
    • Bank Account Passbook
    • Birth or Baptismal Certificate
    • Certificate from various authorities (e.g., Office of Cultural Communities, Office of Muslim Affairs)
    • Certificate of Licensure, Qualification Document, or Seafarer's ID from the Maritime Industry Authority
    • Certificate of Naturalization from the Bureau of Immigration
    • Company ID
    • Company Representative Authorization Card issued by SSS
    • Credit Card
    • Fisherman's Card issued by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
    • GSIS Card or Certificate of Membership
    • Health or Medical Card
    • ID card issued by Local Government Units
    • ID card issued by professional organizations recognized by the PRC
    • Life Insurance Policy
    • Marriage Contract
    • Membership card issued by private companies
    • NBI Clearance
    • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration card
    • Pag-IBIG Member’s Data Form
    • Permit to carry firearms issued by the Firearms and Explosives Unit of the Philippine National Police
    • PhilHealth Member's Data Record
    • Police Clearance
    • Postal ID
    • School ID
    • Seafarer's Registration Certificate issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration
    • Senior Citizen Card
    • Tax Identification Number Card
    • Temporary License and Student Permit issued by the Land Transportation Office
    • Transcript of School Records
    • Voter's Identification Card or Affidavit

Important Notes:

  • If applying for an SSS number as a surviving spouse or guardian aged 60 and up for the Annual Confirmation of Pensioners program, you can submit any secondary document along with a recent photo and age.
  • If married, submit your marriage contract when registering.
  • For reporting legitimate children, provide their birth or baptismal certificates with the annotation "legitimate."
  • For reporting legally adopted children, include the adoption decree. Additional requirements apply if reporting an illegitimate child.
  • All documents must be presented in their original or certified copies for SSS authentication.

Step 2: Fill out the SSS Form E-1 (Personal Record).


Step 3: Submit the completed application form along with the required documents to an SSS representative at the nearest SSS branch. In-person applications may involve long waiting hours and lines, so staying connected to Free GoWiFi can help keep you occupied while waiting for your turn.


Step 4: Pay the initial contribution payment, which is determined by your monthly salary, at the SSS branch. You can find the current contribution schedule on the SSS website.


Step 5: Once your application is processed, you can get your SSS number.

In-person application for those self-employed:

Step 1: Download and complete the SSS Form RS-1 (Self-Employed Data Record).


Step 2: Submit it with a photocopy of a primary ID, such as a baptismal certificate, birth certificate, driver's license, passport, PRC Card, or Seaman's Book.


Step 3: If you don't have any of the primary IDs, provide any two of the mentioned secondary documents (listed above).


Step 4: If you have employees, you will also need to register as an employer and obtain an employer ID number, which your company will use for all SSS transactions.

In-person application for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs):

Step 1: Fill out SSS Form E-1 (Personal Record) at any SSS branch or download it from the website.


Step 2: Submit the completed form with a photocopy of one primary ID, like a birth certificate, baptismal certificate, driver’s license, valid passport, PRC Card, or Seaman’s Book.


Step 3: If primary IDs aren't available, provide any two of the mentioned secondary documents.


Step 4: If you already have an SS number from your previous employment or due to prior registration, you can use the same SS number by reactivating the membership, then simply check "OFW" as payor type when filing contributions.

In-person application for kasambahays:

If you have a kasambahay, you’ll need to register them with SSS, as well as PhilHealth, and Pag-IBIG. Thankfully, there is a unified registration form that makes this easy to do. This form consolidates the registration process for these government agencies.


Step 1: You (or your kasambahay) need to fill out the Kasambahay Unified Registration Form for a single application. If you have multiple kasambahays, you'll need to do this for each one. These forms consolidate the registration process for these government agencies.


Step 2: As the employer, you'll also need to fill out the Household Employer Unified Registration Form (PPS-HEUR1 Form) and the Household Employment Unified Report Form (PPS-HEUR2 Form).


Step 3: Kasambahays also need to submit a true certified copy of a primary ID such as a baptismal certificate, birth certificate, driver's license, passport, PRC Card, or Seaman's Book. If they don't have any of the primary IDs, provide any two of the mentioned secondary documents with the applicant's name and date of birth.


Step 4: Submit the completed forms to your chosen SSS/Pag-IBIG/PhilHealth branch. The application can be submitted and filed personally by the kasambahay or household employer/ authorized representative.


Step 5: The Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, or SSS branch will then review and process your registration and issue the membership numbers.


Step 6: If there are any updates or changes in the Employer Information, your kasambahay should file a separate application to each of the three agencies: Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS.

In-person application for voluntary members:

A voluntary member covers those who are no longer employed or self-employed as well as  non-working spouses who wish to contribute voluntarily.


  1. Separated Members (this includes those who are no longer employed, self-employed, an OFW, or a non-working spouse but want to continue paying SSS contributions):

    • Fill out and submit SSS Form RS-5 with your previously assigned SS number.
    • Pay the initial contribution payment and your membership status will change to a voluntary paying member.
  2. Non-Working Spouses:

    • Complete SSS Form NW-1 (Non-Working Spouse Record).
    • Sign it, and have your working spouse sign it as well.
    • Submit your forms along with a copy of your marriage certificate.

SSS Online Application

For a more convenient filing, head on over to and follow these steps:


  1. Hover your mouse over the "Apply for an SS Number Online" button and click on "No SS number yet? Get it here!"
  2. Accomplish all fields on the online form and click submit. Wait for a confirmation link to be sent via email.
  3. After clicking the link, supply all required information from Basic Information up to Beneficiaries Information correctly. Review all the details.
  4. Click "Generate SS Number" and wait for the system to display the SS Number and an option to print the ePersonal Record Form and SS Number Slip. You will also receive an email confirmation with the generated SS Number, a copy of the SS Number Slip, and further instructions to complete the application.
  5. Print the ePersonal Record Form, SS Number Slip, and SS Number Application Confirmation email body sent by the SS Number Issuance System.
  6. Go to the nearest SSS Branch and submit your printed records together with the required documentary requirements.

Your SSS membership status will be set to "Temporary" until the necessary supporting documents are submitted to the nearest SSS Branch. Once accomplished, the membership status will be made "Permanent."

FAQs About SSS Membership

  1. How can I check my SSS contribution?
    To check your SSS contributions online, you must first create a MySSS account. Then, proceed as follows:

    • Access your MySSS account.
    • Hover over "E-Services" on the Member Inquiry page, then click "Inquiry."
    • Go to the Contributions – Actual Premiums page and on the Member Inquiry page, click the "Member Info" bar, then click "Actual Premiums."
    • All your monthly contributions since you started as an SSS member will be listed on the Actual Premiums page.

  2. How much is the SSS contribution per month?
    One of the most frequently asked questions about SSS in general is, "How can I know what my SSS number is?" Here’s how to do it:

    • Consult with your employer. Simply ask your HR officer for your SSS number.
    • Review your E1 Form. It has a section for your SSS number in the upper left corner.
    • Contact the SSS Hotline by phone or email. You can contact SSS using the methods listed below:
      • SSS Call Center: (+623) 920 6446
      • SSS Trunkline No. (632) 920-640
      • Toll-Free No.: 1-800-10-2255777
      • SSS Email: [email protected]
      • SSS Facebook: 

    You can also check through the SSS Member's Assistance Section by bringing a valid ID and proceeding to the nearest SSS branch to obtain your SSS number.

  3. How many years do I have to pay SSS?
    To receive their pension, a member must have paid at least 120 monthly contributions prior to the semester of retirement. Additional prerequisites are any of the following: at least 60 years old and separated from employment or has ceased to be an SE/OFW/Household Helper (or optional retirement).

  4. What will happen if I skip my SSS contributions?
    In the event of sudden unemployment, a member is not required to continue contributions. They will continue once the member is employed again. Self-employed and voluntary members can pay their monthly contributions prospectively or in advance but never retroactively to cover the skipped months.

Final Takeaways

Members and beneficiaries enrolled in this tax-exempt social security program are assured of timely, convenient, dependable and meaningful protection and adequate benefits, especially in times of calamity, sickness, maternity, disability, old age, death, and even unemployment.


Avail the full advantage of its benefits by learning the ins and outs of this financial protection. If you want to register online for an SSS membership or track your contributions to see which benefits you are entitled to, register for a GoSURF promo or a fiber internet plan for an easy online experience!

Vibe check! How does this make you feel?