Everything you need to know about applying for an NBI Clearance
Navigating the real world, we all know that government-issued documents are essential. For things like employment, setting up a business, opening a bank account or availing government-issued bonuses, these forms of identification are crucial.
Having at least one on hand makes these and various other processes easier. And one that most Filipinos apply for is the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance.
But what is it? Why do you need it? And how can you get one? Ahead, we guide you through the things you need to know when applying for it.
What is the NBI Clearance? Why is it important?
As the name implies, the NBI Clearance is issued by the Philippines’ National Bureau of Investigation. It’s an essential document that proves you are not involved in any criminal activity in the country and therefore can be cleared for a number of applications. The NBI Clearance is a typical requirement when applying for a job locally or abroad, starting a business, studying overseas, taking the civil service exam or getting other government-issued IDs like the PhilSys National ID.
Don’t get this confused with the Police Clearance, which is a document that merely shows whether you have a criminal record within a town or a region.
What are the requirements?
Thankfully, applicants no longer have to get a head-start in the day when applying for their NBI Clearance (where most would try to beat the long lines by waking up way before office hours begin). Today, booking an appointment is easier thanks to the NBI online application system.
Before you schedule your visit, though, applicants should prepare the following requirements:
1. Two (2) valid government-issued IDs
- Driver’s license
- PhilHealth ID
- TIN ID
- Postal ID
- Voter’s ID
- PRC ID
- Senior Citizen ID
- OFW ID
- National ID
- PSA Birth Certificate
- PWD ID
- Police Clearance
2. Barangay Certification (for first-time job seekers)
First-time job seekers are eligible for a free NBI Clearance under the First Time Jobseekers Assistance Act. All they need to do is to present their Barangay Certificate, which is essentially proof that they are, in fact, a first-time job seeker and have lived in their place of residence for at least six (6) months. This Barangay Certificate should also come with an Oath of Undertaking.
How to Apply for an NBI-Clearance in 13 Easy Steps
Follow this step-by-step guide to breeze through your NBI appointment:
1. Head to the NBI Clearance Services website.
2. Here, choose your preferred language and agree to the data privacy disclaimer.
3. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to register for an account. Fill out all the necessary fields and confirm your application by entering the OTP sent to your mobile phone or email address.
4. Once registration is complete, log in to your account and fill out the application form.
5. Click “Save Information,” then “Apply for Clearance.”
6. Choose the type of valid ID you’ll present during the appointment. Click “I Agree.”
7. Choose the NBI Branch you’ll submit your application form and show up to.
8. Choose your preferred appointment date and time (AM or PM). The blue boxes in the calendar will indicate the number of open slots in your preferred branch.
9. Select a payment method: an NBI Clearance costs ₱130, plus the ₱25 service fee. Double-check your appointment schedule and personal details.
10. Follow the instructions of your chosen payment method. Take note or screenshot the reference number. You’ll need it when you pay and enter the NBI Clearance center.
11. Pay for your NBI Clearance. Then, go to the “Transactions” page to see if your application status is “Paid” or “Pending.” Click “Details” to review your application form.
12. Await your appointment date.
Bringing your requirements with you, show up at your selected NBI Branch on your appointment schedule. Here, your photo and biometrics will be taken to complete the application process. Lastly, you can claim your NBI Clearance within the day.
Already Applied Before? Here’s the Renewal Process!
You don’t have to go through the process above if you’re after the renewal of your NBI Clearance. You have the option to choose the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal service that will deliver your renewed NBI Clearance door-to-door nationwide. Here are the steps you need to follow
1. Go to the NBI Clearance Services website
2. Choose your preferred language and agree to the data privacy disclaime
3. Enter your NBI account credentials to log in. On the home screen, tap the “Click Here” button under the NBI Clearance Renewal header.
4. Enter your old NBI ID number and other required information in the pop-up box. Only expired NBI Clearances issued from October 16, 2016, can apply for NBI Clearance Quick Renewal
5. Click “Verify,” then fill out the NBI Clearance delivery form.
6. Choose a payment method and take note of the reference number. Pay ₱330 for your NBI Clearance Quick Renewal and ₱25 for the service fee. NBI Clearance Quick Renewal is more expensive than the usual NBI Clearance because the costs include the delivery fee.
7. Wait for your renewed NBI Clearance to arrive within three to seven days for Metro Manila and Luzon residents or seven to ten days for Visayas and Mindanao residents.
Some Things to Keep In Mind
First, NBI Clearances issued from 2014 onwards can still be renewed through the regular procedure. Simply create a new account. Then, when asked the question, “Do you have an NBI Clearance issued from 2014 to present?” select “Yes.” Once done, log in and edit your information, then proceed with the regular application.
NBI Clearance Quick Renewal does not require you to visit the NBI Center. This process is best if you don’t need any edits with your personal information.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is my NBI Clearance valid?
From the date of issuance, your NBI Clearance will be valid for six months to a year. After this period, you will need to apply for a renewal.
What should I do if I get a HIT on my name?
A HIT means that someone with the same name as yours is charged with a criminal case. When you’re tagged as a HIT, NBI will ask you to return to the center on another schedule so that they can clarify the record.
What happens if I miss my NBI Clearance appointment?
If you missed your NBI Clearance appointment and haven’t paid yet, your appointment schedule will be canceled, which means you have to another one. If you’ve already paid, you have 15 days after your appointment date to go to the NBI branch and process your Clearance.
Swiftly Get Your NBI Clearance
Thanks to NBI’s online system, processing your NBI Clearance is now faster and easier.
Apply for an NBI Clearance anywhere and make the process smoother by using GoSURF promos. Let Globe help you with your NBI Clearance process, from your application to your appointment date.