Free Activation of FaceTime and iMessage FAQs
Starting December 14, 2021, you will no longer be charged for FaceTime and iMessage activation. However, to keep enjoying these services seamlessly, your Apple device must have the latest iOS 15.2 version and Carrier Settings Update once available.
If you're using a 2G/3G SIM card, it's time to upgrade to a Globe 4G LTE/5G-ready SIM and make sure your device has the latest iOS 15.2 version and Carrier Settings Update installed.
Note that the latest software update will only be available for iPhone 6S and later models. For customers who want to upgrade to 4G devices, visit the Globe Online Shop.
Make sure that you're connected to mobile data or Wi-Fi to use these services. Data connection charges will apply.
If you don't upgrade your SIM to 4G LTE by February 28, 2022 you won't be able to activate and use iMessage or FaceTime on your Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
We recommend upgrading to a 4G LTE SIM. After which, download the latest iOS version and Carrier Setting Update once available on iPhone 6s and more recent models to enjoy free FaceTime/iMessage activation and continue using these services on your Apple device.
If you are still using a 2G or 3G SIM that gives you slow internet, it's time to upgrade to a Globe 4G LTE/5G-ready SIM for free and start enjoying a better data experience.
To upgrade your 2G or 3G SIM, go to https://glbe.co/abs-queue to secure an online appointment first before dropping by at the nearest participating Globe Store.
- Select Appointment Type > Change SIM.
- Select Custom Priority.
- Search for your desired store, or look for the Globe store currently nearest you.
- Click the store you wish to visit and select Next (if the desired store is FULL, we encourage you to look for another Globe store for your convenience).
- Select the date and time you wish to visit the store.
- Fill in your contact details (Name, Mobile Number and Email), and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once done, a confirmation code will be assigned to you, which you will need to present upon check-in in the store.
- You may cancel or reschedule your appointment, but availability of new dates/ slots will be on a first-come, first served basis.
On the day of your store visit, please make sure to bring your actual/physical SIM.
For Postpaid customers who will be requesting for a SIM upgrade via an Authorized Representative, the following need to be presented on the day of the store visit will be:
- One (1) valid ID of the Authorized Representative.
- Notarized Special Power of Attorney (SPA).
For more information, visit https://www.globe.com.ph/stay-safe-at-home/stores.html
If you were able to set an appointment first before dropping by the store, you will receive your new SIM on the same day.
For your safety, priority will be placed on customers who have booked an appointment with their desired store. Walk-in customers may only be accommodated once all registered customers have been attended to. With this, there will be no guarantee that walk-in customers may get their upgraded SIM on the same day as they visit the store and may have to come back again to claim.
If you already have a 4G/LTE SIM and 4G/LTE-capable device, you will see an 'LTE', '4G', or '4G+' symbol in the signal indicator of your mobile device if you’re in an area with 4G coverage.
Globe Postpaid and Prepaid customers may also check if they’re using a 4G/LTE SIM by texting SIM CHECK to 8080. If you are already using an LTE SIM, you should receive the following message from 2860:
"Wow! You're already an LTE SIM user. Maximize your data experience by using an LTE-capable device in LTE-powered areas. Register to promos via *143#. Thank you!"
It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. However, if the issue continues after 24 hours and your Apple device states that it is still "Waiting for activation…", the service was not successfully activated.
The notice will be displayed underneath the FaceTime/iMessage toggle button in your phone's settings.
If after 24 hours, your FaceTime and iMessage activation attempt continues to display "Waiting for activation", this is an indication that the enrollment is unsuccessful. To be able to successfully activate FaceTime and iMessage, follow these steps:
- If you are still using 2G or 3G SIM card, upgrade your SIM to 4G/5G.
- Make sure your device has the latest iOS version and Carrier Settings Update installed.
Once both requirements are met, you can now successfully activate your FaceTime and iMessage for free.
- iPhone 13, 13 mini, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max
- All iPhone 12 models
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS and XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone X
- iPhone SE (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6s, 6s Plus
Previously, whenever you would activate your iMessage and FaceTime services, your Apple device sends an international text to verify your number to the Apple server.
This is a one-time activation fee of P10 for the international text. After activating both iMessage and FaceTime, the use of these services is free over WiFi, or charged to your mobile data.
Carrier settings updates are periodical updates from Globe to improve cellular network connectivity and performance of your Apple device.
The Carrier settings update for your Apple device is different from an iOS update. iOS updates are for Apple to add new features and settings on your device, while Carrier settings update comes directly from your cellular provider, and provides smaller tweaks that ensure your cellular network works to the best of its ability and keeps up with new iPhone capabilities.
Once your iOS has been updated, a pop-up will appear informing you that the Carrier settings update is also available for download.
It's important to update the carrier settings on your Apple device because it allows your Globe to update your network, enhance performance, and add certain features.
Further, in order to continue using FaceTime and iMessage, you need to update to both the latest iOS software version and the Carrier settings update.
Software (iOS) Update
- If updating manually, click the Settings app.
- Go to General > Software Update.
- Once you see the iOS software, tap Download and Install.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Wait for the download to start automatically.
- Once done, you may check your phone settings if the update has been verified and completed.
Carrier Settings Update
- Once your iOS update is successful, a pop-up will appear. Click Update Now.
- If you do click Not Now, the pop-up will appear again in the future, unless you manually update.
- If you are to manually update, go to the Settings app.
- Click General > About.
- If there's a Carrier Setting Update that pops up, click Update Now.
- If there's no pop-up, this means you have the latest update.